If you are planning to be food sustainable a permaculture garden is an excellent idea. A permaculture garden can be built in a rural or urban area. Just select the space you want your garden. In permaculture practices the place chosen to built the garden is often referred as “site” and the process is called “site design”.
Efficiency is a key in these designs, we should observe the conditions andpatterns in the area so that with the minimum effort and resources we can obtain the best results or what is called “higher yields”.
There are some steps that should be followed to start your permaculture garden, you can take notes of your observations:
Take the necessary time to observe the area like the following:
- Plot the sun/shade patterns to see if there is enough sun and shade
- Type of soil. Is the soil adequate for what you are going to plant?
- Available resources. Use first what you already have, then look for outside sources. An example is collecting your rain water for your plants.
- How much is the effort will be needed to maintain it.
Make a plan using the information collected:
- Make a drawing specifying what and where you are going to plant.
- Specify a timeline for your project
- Start implementing your plans
Some of the purposes is to obtain high yields, lets say, high outputs with the minimum inputs, and to protect the earth at the same time. You can start with a small area then expand. Also you can work it with a group of friends or family.
In the next article I will be starting a series for understanding soil explaining in more details its concepts. Feel free to make comments or ask questions.